If you’re building a new house or simply need a new roof, you have multiple roof types to choose from. Various roof materials differ in look, longevity, and individual characteristics. At J&K Roofing, roofing experts in Hollywood, FL, we know a lot about roof types and have come up with the benefits and disadvantages of different materials to help you make an informed decision.
It’s possible that your old roof was made of asphalt shingles. It’s considered one of the most common roofing materials, used by roughly 80 percent of homeowners.
- Advantages: They’re among the most affordable roofing materials per square, and affordable for a roofing contractor in Hollywood, FL to install. They’re also fire and wind-resistant.
- Disadvantages: They have a short lifespan, largely because asphalt material isn’t durable. Your asphalt roof can last up to 15 – 30 years, while other materials can last 50 years or more. Although they are wind resistant, they can’t withstand strong winds, which can be problematic for Floridians during hurricane season. Furthermore, because it requires a lot of greenhouse emissions to produce asphalt, they’re not considered environmentally friendly.
Wooden shingles are common among upscale homes when homeowners desire a natural look. Wood shakes are also common, but less so than shingles.
- Advantages: They have an extremely attractive and inviting look, and this is a common reason they’re still used by homeowners. Furthermore, they can last up to 25 years, which is better than most asphalt roofs. Unlike asphalt, they are not harmful to the environment and can be easily recycled.
- Disadvantages: Wood shingles can be more expensive than other materials, such as asphalt. They also have low fire resistance. As a result, they are banned in some areas. Although every roof requires yearly maintenance, wood shingles and shakes require more maintenance than other roofing materials.
Metal has gained popularity over the years as more homeowners turn to metal roofing material because of its advantages.
- Advantages: Metal roofs are extremely versatile. They come in a variety of styles and colors and can imitate other roofing materials, such as wood. Metal is good for the environment, both in how it’s made and how easy it is to recycle. It’s fire-resistant and can withstand many of the elements, such as wind and rain.
- When you contact our roofing experts in Hollywood, FL to install metal material, the work will be completed quickly because of its lightweight material. Metal roofs are easy to maintain and can last up to 60 years.
- Disadvantages: Metal roofs are expensive and without proper insulation, the sound of rain on a metal roof can grow tiring. Additionally, you will need to contact a highly experienced roofing contractor in Hollywood, FL with prior experience installing metal roofs.
If your old roof wasn’t made of asphalt, it was likely made of tile. Tile roofing material is considered the most used material worldwide.
- Advantages: Tile is resistant to fire, rot, and insects. They have a longer lifespan than most other materials, lasting up to 100 years. Because clay tiles were fired in a kiln, they are energy efficient and can significantly reduce your energy bill.
- Disadvantages: Much like metal roofs, the cost of tile is expensive. Additionally, when you contact our roofing experts in Hollywood, FL to install your tile roof, installation can take significantly longer because tile is such a heavy material. Because of its weight, it’s important to speak to your contractor about how tile roofs can impact the structure of your home.
Concrete roofs are popular in Florida because they can withstand strong winds, tropical storms, and hurricanes.
- Advantages: They are more expensive than asphalt but are still considered cost-effective because of their lifespan. When properly maintained, it can last between 50-100 years. They are also durable, fire-resistant, and can resist many elements.
- Disadvantages: It’s a porous material, which means it absorbs water easily. This can lead to rot, mold, and mildew. Additionally, it requires more maintenance. Much like tile, it’s a heavy material, so you’re advised to talk to roofing experts in Hollywood, FL to determine if your home can support the concrete.
Contact Us Today
There are many advantages to the various roofing materials you can choose. It all boils down to your budget, needs, and preferences. When you’re ready to decide the team here at J & K Roofing Inc is here to help! Give us a call at 953-961-9879 to learn more!